The regular season is almost finished, so let’s talk awards before we talk playoffs.
6th Man Award : Let’s start with the nominees, Lou Williams from the Toronto Raptors, Isiah Thomas from Phoenix/Boston and Aaron Brooks from the Chicago Bulls.
- Aaron Brooks : He played 79 games (21 as a starter) averaging 11.6 pts, 3.1 ast and 2 reb in 23 minutes, he gives the Bulls a good sparks from the bench and he is one of the reasons shown by the bulls in offense.
- Isiah Thomas : He played 64 games averaging 16.5 pts, 4.2 ast and 2.3 reb in 26 minutes, he was good in Phoenix and he is helping the Celtics getting to the playoffs.
- Lou Williams : He played 77 games averaging 15.4 pts, 2 ast and 1.8 reb in 25 minutes, he strarted the season great, and faded just like his team the Raptors.
I have to go with the most consistent all season long and the one who impresses me the most.
And the winner is : Isiah Thomas
Rookie of the year : Let’s start with the nominees, Nerlen Noel from the Sixers, Andrew Wiggins from the Wolves and Nikolas Mirotic from the Bulls.
- Nikolas Mirotic : He played 79 games averaging 10 pts, 1.2 ast and 5 reb in 20 minutes , he is the only one doing it as a rookie in a winning team, playing the 3 and the 4 position, he is really playing efficient and winning basketball, shooting 11 shoots for 10 points.
- Nerlen Noel : He played 75 games averaging 10 pts, 1.2 ast and 8.1 reb in 31 minutes, he can be a good defender in this league, but nothing more.
- Andrew Wiggins : He played 78 games averaging 16.7 pts, 1.9 ast and 4.4 reb in 36 minutes, he is taking 15 shoots for 16.7 points that’s very good but i have to say that he is playing alot of garbage time and against the end of bench players.
It is hard for me to give an award to someone who is playing for a bad bad team, i think that it is easier putting good stats when you don’t have any responsibility of winning, at the end of the day it’s a team sport if what you do is not serving the team it does not have much value in my eyes.
And The winner is : Nikolas Mirotic
Most Improve Player : Let’s start with the nominees, Denis Schroder from the Hawks, Jimmy Butler from the Bulls and Draymond Green from the Warriors.
- Denis Schroder : he improved from last year playing 73 more games, 16 more minutes per game, going from 13.1 pts to 20.1 pts, from 1 rbd to 2.1 rbd and from 0 ast to 4.2 ast. He just move from a non factor player in a barely playoff team to an influential player on the best team in the east.
- Jimmy Butler : he improved from last year going from 2.5 pts to 10 pts, from 4.9 rbd to 5.8 rbd and from 2.6 ast to 3.3 ast. He was already a great defender now he is one of the best 2 ways players at the 2 position if not the best.
- Draymond Green : he improved from last year playing 64 more games as a starter, 10 more minutes per game, going from 6.2 pts to 11.8 pts, from 5 rbd to 8.2 rbd and from 1.9 ast to 3.7 ast. He improved his offense, his defense playing night in night out against the likes of Aldridge, Zebo and Griffins. This guy is gone from a limited player to important peace in the best team in the league.
And the winner is : Draymond Green
Defensive player of the year : Let’s start with the nominees, Pau Gasol from the Bulls, DeAndre Jordan from the Cllipers and Draymond Green from the Warriors. In this award i really don’t want to mention stats because defense is more than that. Beside the nominees i have a special mention for Rudy Gobert from the Jazz he was great post Allstar.
- Pau Gasol : I’m tired of hearing people saying that he is soft, he is not. Pau is a tough big in this league he protects the rim, and a good defender one on one.
- Draymond Green : Going against all the best fours in this league is pretty hard and he is doing in effectively in the best defensive team in the league.
- DeAndre Jordan : He is dominant in paint making up for defensive mistakes from the 2 and the 3 position defenders that the Clippers have.
And the winner is : DeAndre Jordan
Coach of the year : Let’s start with the nominees, Steve Keer with the Warriors, Mike Budenholzer with the Hawks and Jason Kidd with the Bucks.
- Jason Kidd : He took the worst team in the league or the second worst and make them a playoff team ranking 6th in the east. He traded for Carter Wlliams in the mid season it doesn’t make the Bucks better in the short term but he knows what he is doing and after a training camp with he’s point guard the team will be better.
- Mike Budenholzer : We all compare them to the Spurs that they are a poor man Spurs, but they are more than that. This team is playing flawless basketball in offense and team defense with no go to guy. They made the jump from 8th last season to first in the east this season, it’s just great.
- Steve Keer : The Warriors goes from 6th last year to first in the league in a wild wild west, and that’s not only because of the natural progress of the player. It is easy to get players to buy in in offense but he really impresses me by getting his team playing great defense. This team is just the best offensive and defensive team in the league.
And the winner is : Steve Keer
Last but not Least the Award:
MVP : For this one i will go for on two player just because they dis separate them selves from the rest. Lebron was good but not at an MVP level Westbrook was good too but in a team fighting for a playoff spot it’s not enough.
Let’s start with the nominees Stephen Curry from the Warriors and James Harden from the Rockets.
- Stephen Curry : He played 77 games averaging 24 pts, 7.8 ast and 4.3 reb and 2 stl in 33 minutes, he is the best player in the best team in the league, beating his own record of 3’s made per season. He was already the best shooter in the game now he is doing it all but i have to say that he have a pretty good supporting cast behind him and if you take him of this team they are still a playoff team.
- James Harden : He played 78 games averaging 27.5 pts, 6.9 ast and 5.7 reb and 1.9 stl in 37 minutes, he is the best offensive player in the league by far, for him is comes so easily and this year he is creating for his teammates more and he did improves a bit in defense. With all the injuries the Rockets had this season without Harden this team is a lottery team, they will finish behind Phoenix for sure.
This one is too close but the word valuable for me means alot.
And the winner is : James Harden